Welcome to My Kind of Food. Subscribe to my blog feed or sign up for email updates. (A confirmation email will be sent to your in-box prior to activation. )If you have any issues subscribing, please contact me at hungrygal@rogers.com

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Avocado, Crab & Tomato Salad



My husband and I celebrated our first anniversary this past week. It was a great first year and we couldn't believe how quickly time passed. To celebrate the occasion, we decided to do something different. Instead of going out for a great and extravagant dinner, we decided to have a great and extravagant dinner at home by creating our own tasting menu, based on our favourite foods. It was unexpectedly exhausting but our three hour extravaganza allowed us to put the rest of the world and all the distractions of our everyday life on pause while we took a bit of time to slow down and enjoy time with each other. As we recalled our memories of our shared life together, in the years before our wedding day and the year since, we found ourselves laughing until our sides ached.

For this very special evening, I started the evening out with crab, one of my favourite foods. This appetizer is super easy, fresh and flavourful. The avocado is velvety and smooth, the tomato fresh and clean, and the crab is luxurious and dressed so simply that its true flavours come through.

Avocado, Crab and Tomato Salad



Serves 2

You don't need a fussy plating for this, you can toss all the ingredients together instead of placing them in layers.

1/2 ripe avocado - diced (click here for tips on how to prep)
8 cherry tomatoes - diced
1/4 lb lump crab meat - dark & white meat
1 tbsp mayonnaise
1/2 tsp celery salt
1/2 lemon (zest & juice)
pepper to taste

1. Divide the cubed avocado into 2 and place in the center of each plate.
2. Repeat with the tomatoes.
3. Gently mix crab with mayonnaise, celery salt, lemon zest & juice. Add pepper to taste.
4. Pile crab onto tomatoes and serve immediately.

3 comments:

Christina Kim said...

Happy Anniversary!! The salad sounds delicious. And a very economically prudent choice to stay in for your special dinner.

Marta said...

Congrats on the 1st year of bliss!!
I think making meals together at home, and treating yourselves to a romantic, greatest-hits menu is the most fun you can have. Much better than over-price, pretentious meals in restaurants (sorry, I'm often bitter at restaurant food!). I just think it's so romantic to cook together!
Thanks for the welcome to Toronto!!! I got here a month ago, spent 3 days in the city and then went to Japan for almost a month. Now I'm back for 4 days and I leave for France and Italy for another month! I'm in between jobs, so I figured I better travel as much as I can before I start the new one after Thanksgiving. Then I'll be once more tied to the corporate world with little free time!

alecho said...

Dude... this salad looks so yummy. I also liked your post on stir fried beef on coconut rice. I just started cooking, but your blog gives me lots of inspiration. Added your blog to my RSS feed. keep up the good work yo!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs